Hallo und Herzliche Wilkommen - Hello and welcome!

I am currently studying intermediate level German in Munich. I completed my B2.2 German at Volkshochschule München, B2.1 from LMU and B1 from Goethe Institute. I started writing this blog (since level A2.1) in order to share what I learn during the lectures. I envisaged it to be a personal note to myself more than anything else. Nevertheless, if anything written here proves to be useful to you, please do leave a comment. I will continue to upload content as I learn new things, hence it is better to read older posts before reading new ones.
Let's start learning!

Thursday 28 January 2010

'Haben' oder 'Sein', which to use?

Grammar

English has transitive and intransitive verbs. Depending on which category a verb falls into, it either has 'has' or 'was' in perfect tense such as "I was gone" or "I have eaten". Similarly, in German a verb can have 'haben' or 'sein' associated with each verb in past tense. Since "verb in second position" rule overrides all rules, the 'haben' or 'sein' part lands in the second position. The main verb changes form and goes to the end of the sentence like so: Ich bin zurück gekommen. Note that 'trennbar' verbs such as anrufen become angeruft.

Sein Haben
Pertaining to bewegung (movement), eg. kommen, wandern, reisen, schwimmen, fliegen, gehen, segeln, fahren Verbs that usually have an object
Änderung (to change state), eg. aufwachen, wachsen, werden ...and all other verbs.
Bleiben, passieren

Vocabulary

  • anrufen: to call
  • kommen: to come
  • wandern: to go hiking
  • reisen/fahren: to travel
  • schwimmen: to swim
  • fliegen: to fly
  • gehen: to go
  • segeln: to sail
  • aufwachen: to wake up
  • wachsen: to grow
  • werden: to become
  • bleiben: to stay
  • passieren: to happen
  • sich verabschieden: to say good bye
  • plötzlich: suddenly
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment