Hallo und Herzliche Wilkommen - Hello and welcome!

I am currently studying intermediate level German in Munich. I completed my B2.2 German at Volkshochschule München, B2.1 from LMU and B1 from Goethe Institute. I started writing this blog (since level A2.1) in order to share what I learn during the lectures. I envisaged it to be a personal note to myself more than anything else. Nevertheless, if anything written here proves to be useful to you, please do leave a comment. I will continue to upload content as I learn new things, hence it is better to read older posts before reading new ones.
Let's start learning!

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Wessen - Whose? - Genitiv

Grammar

Genitiv in German is analogous to possessive in English. There are three ways that one can use Genitiv in Deutsch. They are as follows:

  1. Use von, eg. Familie von Petra
  2. Add an S at the end of a proper noun, eg. Petras Familie
  3. When used with a pronoun, articles are ommitted, eg. ihre Familie
Important!

Never use the second form with a common noun. Instead of Vaters Radio use das Radio von Vater.

Exercise

Genitiv mit s. Antworten Sie.

  • Beispiel: Ist das die Freundin von Jürgen? Nein, das ist nict Jürgens Freundin.
  • Sind das die Kinder von Ute und Martin? Ja, das sind Utes und Martins Kinder.
  • Herr Akbar, kennen Sie die Eltern von Karin? Ja, ich kenne Karins Eltern.
  • Gehst du mit der Schwester von Eva ins Konzert? Nein, ich gehe nicht mit Evas Schwester ins Konzert.
  • Hast due Addresse von Tante Monka? Ja, ich habe Tante Monikas Addresse.
  • Hat Peter das Portemonnaie von Mama gefunden? Nein, Peter hat Mamas Portemonnaie nicht gefunden.

No comments:

Post a Comment